Perhaps you have gone through a tutorial to make some modification on your Android and you have found that it is necessary to use ADB and Fastboot. In case you are not sure what it is, they are tools with which you can modify the Android operating system in an advanced way from the PC. It is like a “communication bridge”.
One of the most common uses of ADB and Fastboot is to unlock the device’s bootloader , update the kernel, change ROM, install applications … In this post we will teach you how to download, install and configure ADB and Fastboot on your computer Windows.
How to install ADB and Fastboot on your Windows PC
We are going to teach you several methods starting with the easiest ones that we have tried on more than one occasion. The ADB drivers, sometimes, do not work the first time and it is worth having several options in case the flies.
Universal ADB Driver and ADB Installer, two very easy to use apps
Universal ADB Driver comes from a well known developer and is our preferred method. It makes it all very easy and will work with most Android devices (or even smartwatches). An application to master all drivers:
- Go to this website and click on download. You will be left with an exe file that you will have to run.
- You will get two options, one to repair and the other to remove the ADB drivers. Choose Repair to install the ADB drivers and in less than a minute you will have them on a PC.
Another application that is going wonderfully and we have verified that it works is ADB Installer, it is just as simple as the one above and will make you have the ADB installed in less than a rooster crows.
- Go to this page of the XDA forum and download version 1.4.8 with base 1.4.3 preferably (the latest one today), if it doesn’t work try the other one. It is updated for 2020 with support for Android 11 and the latest changes. If for whatever reason you cannot find the file or you get involved here we leave you the direct link to Mega.
- You will download a ZIP with a file that you will have to extract and run on your PC.
- It will open the CMD and ask you three questions. Press “Y” and “Enter” in all of them, you will have to install an executable as you will see in the photo. Just accept and everything will go smoothly.
These two options are the ones that have worked best for us and we have not needed to use another one the times we have installed the ADB / Fastboot. In any case, you may need something more specific and for this you can use the official and manual way using Android Studio.
Using Android Studio, the official way
- The first thing you should do is download ADB / Fastboot that is included in Android SDK Tools . You can download it from this link .
- Go to the local disk C: \ and create a folder called ” SDK Tools “, leaving the path as ” C: \ SDK Tools “.
- Unzip the file you downloaded in step 1 into the folder you just created.
- Run the ” SDK Manager.exe” file found inside the ” android-sdk-windows” folder as administrator .
- Once in the SDK we must install a series of tools by marking them in the list that we will see in the SDK Manager. The tools that we must install are the following:
- Tools – Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools, and Android SDK Build-tools.
- Extras – Android Support Library and Google USB Driver.
- We accept the license and click on the Install button .
In this way you will have installed the SDK on ADB and Fastboot included. If you enter the folder that you created in step 2 of the tutorial, you will find new folders , in “platform-tools” you should find the file ” adb.exe ” ” fastboot.exe “.
Now you will have ADB and Fastboot installed, you can open a command prompt window and use it with the necessary codes that will vary depending on the operation you want to perform.
How to use ADB and Fastboot
Now we are going to check that everything works correctly and you can make use of the ADB and Fastboot drivers. This step is necessary for everything to go correctly, you will have to activate a small notice on your mobile.
The first thing is to do Shift + right click on an empty place in any File Explorer folder and select the option ” Open PowerShell window here” , this will open a command prompt window in which we will write the necessary codes to use ADB and Fastboot.
Then connect your mobile to check that it is recognized by ADB. If you do not get anything, try changing the cable and USB port, they are two key nonsense for everything to work.
- Activate USB Debugging found in Developer Options . If this section does not appear in your Android Settings, in this post we will explain how to activate the development options.
- Connect your mobile to the PC using the USB cable. When you do, you will get a notice that you will have to accept on your mobile. In the photo you can see ours using Pure Android, it will be different depending on the brand.
- Type in the command window ” adb devices “. In this way you will verify that the PC recognizes the mobile. Typing this command should show us the version number of the mobile.
Now check that Fastboot also recognizes your Android:
- You must turn on the mobile (connected to the PC) in Fastboot mode, to do this turn it off and on by pressing the power button + volume down (or up, depending on the model).
- In the command window type ” fastboot devices “. Once this is done, the mobile version should appear.
Once you have done all this, you will have everything you need so that there is no communication problem between your Android and your Windows computer. If something has not worked for you, leave us a comment and we will try to help you.